Monday, August 15, 2011

 I cried a lot and I laughed a lot as I watched this riveting film.  So many memories of my precious Mom engulfed my spirit. She was "The Help" for several wealthy families and often spent the day cleaning, cooking, as well as caring for young children.  She would be on the brink of exhaustion when she would come home for an hour or so, then would dress in her white uniform prior to  returning  to the "upper house" to  serve the  dinner party. After dinner, Mom would wash every piece of crystal, china and silver, then would make sure that  the kitchen was spotless before leaving to return home to her seven children.  How I loathed the sound of that little silver bell, but Mom, in her own dignified way,  held her head up and never voiced any unkind words about any of her employers. 

1 comment:

  1. I CANNOT understand how she could hold herself with such grace after that. It just seems so incredibly wrong and foreign. Like any of us are intrinsically better or worse... I'm glad that she was such an inspiration to you, however. Just sad that she had to deal with that oppression.

    ReplyDelete